Over the last week, the Pedmore Meerkats have been researching the many products that may contain palm oil. Although some palm oil is from sustainable sources, lots of it is from newly cleared areas of rainforest. We have been writing letters to UK manufacturers about palm oil and over the next few weeks we’ll be posting the replies we receive.
Here’s an example of one of our letters (this one is from the Poison Tree Frogs Team to Haribo):
RE: Palm Oil
We are writing to you on behalf of the Year 4 Meerkats at Pedmore CofE Primary School. We have been learning these past few months about the rainforests and why they’re being destroyed and we have been wondering which companies are using palm oil in their products? We have learned that areas of rainforest are being destroyed for palm oil plantations. Most of the problem is that people are destroying the rainforests because lots of companies want palm oil in their products. We hope that, if convenient to you, you would please answer some of our questions.
Our questions for you:
- Do you include palm oil in your products?
- Do you label your palm oil as vegetable oil or palm oil in your products?
- If you label it as vegetable oil are you planning to label it as palm oil in the future and if so when?
- If you use palm oil in your products are they from a forest friendly approved by the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO)?
- If you don’t already, would you please consider labelling your products RSPO approved?
Thank you for spending your time reading this. If it would be alright, please could you write back. We look forward to hearing from you.
The Poison Tree Frogs Team